What licenses does the Board issue?

Board Rules R4-6-401 through R4-6-405
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW)
Licensed Baccalaureate Social Worker (LBSW)

Board Rules R4-6-501 through R4-6-505
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
Licensed Associate Counselor (LAC)

Board Rules R4-6-601 through R4-6-606
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
Licensed Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (LAMFT)

Board Rules R4-6-701 through R4-6-707
Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor (LISAC)
Licensed Associate Substance Abuse Counselor (LASAC)
Licensed Substance Abuse Technician (LSAT)

How long do I need to keep client records?

Licensees must maintain records in accordance with A.R.S. §12-2297.  You can access that state statute at www.azleg.gov.

What is the difference between a credentialing committee and the Board?

The Board of Behavioral Health Examiners consists of twelve members (8 professional and 4 public).  It regulates professional counselors, substance abuse counselors, social workers and marriage and family therapists. 

There is a credentialing committee for each discipline that the Board regulates.  Each committee consists of 4 professional and one public member.  Two professional members from each committee also sit on the Board.  The committees make recommendations to the Board regarding licenses.

Can I attend a Board or Credentialing Committee meeting?  (Board Rule R4-6-802)

Yes, and you can receive continuing education hours for attending.

What are the requirements for temporary licenses?

Please review Board Rule R4-6-306.

What is inactive status?  (Board Rule R4-6-305)

A professional can place his/her license on inactive status if he/she is not planning to work for a period of time.  There is a $100 fee.

If I have a fingerprint clearance card, can I send a copy of my card instead of fingerprints?




What forms should I fill out in the application?  What about the supplement?

You must complete the entire General Application and the supplement for your discipline. Failure to complete the entire application or supplement will necessarily delay the processing of your application.

Can I come to your office and have someone review my application?  Why not?

No.  If you follow the directions, read the application and go through the checklist before you submit your application, you are ready to submit your application.  The credentialing committee makes all decisions regarding whether an application meets requirements.  Board staff cannot advise you regarding how the committee will act on your application.

If I am licensed in one discipline, can you use forms for my current application from a previous application?

The Board can copy the transcript from one file for a second application.  All other required forms and supplemental documentation must be submitted with the new application.

What credentials need to be verified?

Any state licensure, certification or registration in any occupation or profession in Arizona or any other state or country, other than those issued by this Board, must be verified on the form provided in the application.  Failure to disclose all licenses, certifications or registrations currently or ever held may result in denial of your application.

 Please be aware that there may be a fee associated with a verification.  You should contact the credentialing entity first to make sure you submit any fee required for a written verification.

Why do I have to send the verification form to the licensing agency when a verification can be printed from the web?

Because web verifications don’t generally address disciplinary issues.

What can be used from an old application?

The Board will only accept licensure forms.

 If you have been certified by this Board in the past and have either 1) an active license or 2) a certification that has expired or was never granted, the transcript may be able to be taken from the other file.  All other documents need to be completed and submitted with the new application.

Why do I have to get course descriptions for the year and term I took the course?  What if the college doesn’t have any catalogs?

The credentialing committee requires course descriptions to judge the content of the courses you took for your degree, so the descriptions must be for the actual course you took.  All accredited colleges and universities keep the course catalogs for every year that they were accredited.  You can contact your school’s library reference section and request that they locate the correct catalog, copy the pages you need and send them to you.

How long does it take to process an application?  (Board Rule R4-6-302)

There is no way to accurately predict how long it will take to process your application.  The administrative review usually takes 30 days IF the file is complete when submitted.  Missing information will necessarily delay the processing of your application.  Each credentialing committee meets monthly and can recommend a file to the Board for licensure, deny a file or request additional information from the applicant.  Final approval is issued by the Board, which also meets once a month.  You will be notified in writing of each step in the process.

Can I withdraw my application and get my fee refunded?

All fees are non-refundable.  Under certain conditions, an application may be withdrawn.


How do I know if a class I have taken or want to take can be used for continuing education credits when renewing my license?

The Board does not pre-approve continuing education activities.  The types of continuing education activities the Board accepts are provided in the Board's rules.  See A.A.C. R4-6-802(E).

I am interested in becoming a continuing education provider.  How do I apply for approval?

The Board does not pre-approve continuing education providers.  In order for the Board to accept continuing education activities you provide, they must fall within the list of accepted continuing education activities found in the Board's rules.  See A.A.C. R4-6-802(E).